Connect with us

Technology

2020 Detroit Auto Show canceled due to coronavirus crisis

Erin Fox

Published

on

2020 Detroit Auto Show canceled due to coronavirus crisis

The 2020 North American International Auto Show scheduled for June has been canceled after the TCF center where the annual show is held was selected as a site for coronavirus relief efforts.

Due to the rising number of coronavirus cases in the state, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers was assessing several possible sites that could be used to place patients overflowing from hospitals nearing capacity.

This year’s NAIAS was going to be Detroit’s first auto show hosted in the summer following years of the international event taking place in January.

First reported by the Detroit Free Press Saturday afternoon, the major event’s cancellation is only the latest casualty in a long list of sporting events, policy meetings and school schedules disrupted by COVID-19.

Ford, which would have filled a big role in the auto show this year, issued a statement saying they supported the decision to postpone.

“We fully support NAIAS organizers in their postponement. The health and safety of our community and those working throughout the industry is our top priority. We look forward to seeing the show’s return in 2021,” said a company spokesperson.

Backed by financial assistance from FEMA, the Army Corps had assessed dozens of locations throughout the state as health officials prepped for another brutal week of confirmed coronavirus. Detroit has become the unofficial epicenter of the state’s outbreak after confirming 1,377 of Michigan’s total cases and 30 deaths.

This year’s auto show was expected to be the city’s big unveiling of autonomous technology being integrated with automobiles — a focal point for many car companies in the city.

Prior to the NAIAS cancellation, several other international car shows in Switzerland and China also had been postponed due to the coronavirus.

From television to the internet platform, Erin switched her journey in digital media with News Brig. She served as a journalist for popular news channels and currently contributes his experience for News Brig by writing about the tech domain.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Technology

Call of Duty adds screen that says Black Lives Matter

Erin Fox

Published

on

Call of Duty adds screen that says Black Lives Matter

Infinity Ward just released an update for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare that adds a splash screen message in support of the Black Lives Matter movement. Players are being told they need to update their client upon finishing multiplayer games, and once they do, the message appears on screen.

“Our community is hurting,” the statement reads. “The systemic inequalities our community experiences are once again center stage. Call of Duty and Infinity Ward stand for equality and inclusion. We stand against the racism and injustice our Black community endures. Until change happens and Black Lives Matter, we will never truly be the community we strive to be.”

The News Brig has confirmed that the message subsequently appears every time you launch Modern Warfare on a PS4. It also appears on loading screens and when switching to a separate mode like Warzone.

Several video game companies have issued statements of support for black communities this week following protests against police brutality in the US and the killing of George Floyd. Placing the message in front of everyone playing a hugely popular first-person shooter, however, could help it reach a wider group of people.

Continue Reading

Technology

Toshiba expects drop of 15.7% in annual profit, limited coronavirus impact

Erin Fox

Published

on

Toshiba expects drop of 15.7% in annual profit, limited coronavirus impact

FILE PHOTO – The logo of Toshiba Corp is seen behind cherry blossoms at the company’s headquarters in Tokyo, Japan April 11, 2017. REUTERS/Toru Hanai

TOKYO (Reuters) – Toshiba Corp expects annual operating profit to drop 15.7%, it said on Friday, as a recent portfolio overhaul helps the industrial conglomerate limit the impact of the coronavirus outbreak.

It forecast profit of 110 billion yen ($1 billion) for the year through March 2021, down from 130.46 billion yen a year earlier.

The outlook compared with the 136.71 billion yen average of 13 analyst estimates compiled by Refinitiv.

($1=109.2000 yen)

Reporting by Makiko Yamazaki

Continue Reading

Technology

DoorDash says it is ‘prepared to provide support’ for Caviar workers arrested in NYC during curfew

Erin Fox

Published

on

DoorDash says it is ‘prepared to provide support’ for Caviar workers arrested in NYC during curfew

A pair of alarming videos appeared to show at least one Caviar delivery worker being arrested by New York City police on Thursday, allegedly for violating the city’s curfew imposed this week in response to demonstrations protesting the death of George Floyd and systemic police brutality.

But the worker and other on-demand food delivery app contractors are permitted to work in the city, even past curfew, based on a designation as essential workers by city officials. Caviar parent company DoorDash tells The News Brig it is “alarmed” by the reports of the arrests and that it is “prepared to provide them with our support.”

We are alarmed by reports that a courier appears to have been arrested this evening in New York City shortly after curfew. Under the City’s curfew order, food delivery workers are deemed ‘essential’ and permitted to travel to and from work and to be in public while performing their work while the curfew is in effect,” a DoorDash spokesperson says. “We are gathering information and are in contact with City officials to determine what transpired. Essential workers must be able to complete their work and feel safe and secure while doing so, and we are prepared to provide them with our support.”

In one video, a Caviar delivery worker is seen getting arrested by a group of police officers near Central Park, allegedly 27 minutes after the 8PM ET curfew, according to a video shared on Twitter this evening.

In a separate video shared on Twitter just minutes before at 9:01PM ET, a Caviar worker is seen getting arrested by a group of at least six officers. “Are you serious? Look, look, look, look. I’m not even doing anything,” the man says, showing clear distress as the cops handcuff him and confiscate his bike and orange Caviar bag. “It tells me on the app I can show you guys something.” It is unclear if this is the same worker or a separate incident altogether.

Major US cities began imposing curfews earlier this week in an attempt to curb protests, many of which are peaceful demonstrations against police brutality and racism. Yet countless videos over the past few days have shown widespread examples of police violence and inhumane treatment of demonstrators in response, including beatings, use of tear gas and other irritants, and “kettling” of protestors into tight areas, including the NYPD’s decision to trap thousands on the Manhattan Bridge on Tuesday night.

On-demand delivery workers are now caught between the protests and law enforcement, as on-demand apps like Caviar, DoorDash, and Uber Eats informed them that they could continue taking orders as essential workers in certain cities despite the curfew. In some locations, like San Francisco and Washington, DC, Uber and other apps ceased operations during curfew hours. But in New York City, the apps assured their contractors, many of whom rely on the apps for income during the pandemic and yet receive no other form of financial assistance, they could continue working.

“Our teams on the ground are working closely with cities on how to best support them based on their needs and the local situation,” an Uber spokesperson told BuzzFeed News earlier this week regarding its inconsistent approach to city curfews. “Some cities have requested that we suspend operations during curfew hours while others want to ensure Uber is available for essential services.”

DoorDash told BuzzFeed it was “tailoring operations based on the guidance we have received from governments,” seemingly indicating the company was told by New York City officials it could keep its workers on the streets. A note posted to competing service Postmates’ website tells New York City customers it is “safe to order delivery during curfew hours”:

The safety and well-being of our community is our top priority. We are actively working with local officials to monitor the situation in your city. While it is safe to order delivery during curfew hours, please note that activity in your area may impact restaurant availability and delivery times. We will work as quickly and safely as possible to complete your order. We appreciate your loyalty, patience, and understanding for the duration of these regulations.

The New York City Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the arrests or its policies regarding essential food delivery workers during curfew hours.

Update June 5th, 12:20AM ET: Clarified that it’s currently unclear whether the two viral videos show one worker getting arrested or two separate incidents.

Continue Reading

Trending