Connect with us

General News

Afghan Taliban declare three-day Eid ceasefire from Sunday

Evan Lewis

Published

on

Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on sports events around the world

KABUL (Reuters) – The Taliban declared a three-day Eid ceasefire starting on Sunday, a spokesman for the hardline Islamist group wrote in a tweet on Saturday, a move that comes as fighting has intensified between the warring sides despite the coronavirus pandemic.

“Do not carry out any offensive operations against the enemy anywhere, if any action is taken against you by the enemy, defend yourself,” tweeted spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, adding that the ceasefire was declared solely for Eid festivities.

Afghanistan’s government has not yet indicated whether it will observe the ceasefire.

Last month, the Taliban rejected a government call for a ceasefire across Afghanistan for the holy month of Ramadan, saying a truce was “not rational” as they ramped up attacks on Afghan forces.

At least 146 civilians were killed and 430 wounded by the Taliban during Ramadan, Javid Faisal, a spokesman for the country’s main intelligence and security office in Kabul, said on Saturday.

Reporting by Abdul Qadir Sediqi, Orooj Hakimi; Writing by Rupam Jain; editing by Jonathan Oatis

With a knack for storytelling, Evan started News Brig about a year ago. Covering substantial topics under the Sports,, he helps information seep in deeper with creative writing and content management skills.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General News

Syrian court orders Syriatel placed under judicial custody

Evan Lewis

Published

on

Syrian court orders Syriatel placed under judicial custody

BEIRUT (Reuters) – A Syrian court has ordered that Syriatel, owned by prominent businessman Rami Makhlouf, be placed under judicial custody amid a high-profile dispute over arrears, according to a document posted on the court’s Facebook page.

Makhlouf, the cousin of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and one of Syria’s richest men, had his assets ordered seized over alleged back payments to the country’s telecoms regulator which it put at 134 billion pounds, or around $77 million at the current exchange rate on the parallel market.

Once at the heart of Assad’s inner circle, Makhlouf has called the asset seizure illegal and an attempt by the government to take the company from him. The unprecedented public tussle has uncovered a rare rift in Syria’s ruling elite.

The decision to place Syriatel under judicial custody is to “guarantee the rights of the public treasury and the rights of the shareholders in the company” the administrative court wrote on Facebook.

Makhlouf has addressed the dispute in three video messages in which he has appealed to Assad himself to help save his firm. In his last appearance, Makhlouf said he had been told to quit as the head of Syriatel.

Last month, a court placed a temporary travel ban on Makhlouf pending settlement of the dispute.

Writing by Eric Knecht; Editing by Edmund Blair

Continue Reading

General News

Electrolux Takes Action to Reduce Emissions From Cooling Products

Tori Holland

Published

on

Electrolux Takes Action to Reduce Emissions From Cooling Products

STOCKHOLM, June 5, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — Electrolux today announces a plan to replace all high-impact greenhouse gases in all of its appliances by 2023 at the latest, as part of its commitments to the United Nations global Cool Coalition initiative. The plan, which helps Electrolux deliver on its objective to significantly reduce its climate footprint over the coming decades, is one of the actions taken under the company’s Better Living Program.

As global temperatures rise, the transformation of cooling technology will make a big contribution to the fight against climate change. The phase-out of powerful climate-warming gases known as hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) has the potential to avoid up to 0.4°C of global warming by 2100. HFCs are often used in refrigerators, air conditioners and other cooling devices, as well as tumble dryers and washer dryers with heat pumps. 

Now Electrolux is accelerating the transition from these gases by submitting a phase out plan to the global UN initiative Cool Coalition. The commitment is a plan for replacing the high-impact greenhouse gases in all appliances with gases that have a lower climate impact, such as natural gases with very low global warming impact. By 2023 this plan will be complete.

“The appliance industry is one of the sectors with a vital behind-the-scenes role in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic as refrigerators, washing machines or air conditioners are essential products in people’s lives. Although these are uncertain times for business, we believe addressing climate change by reducing greenhouse gases remains one of the most urgent challenges for society. We are encouraging other companies in our industry to join us as we all share the same responsibility,” says Jonas Samuelson, CEO Electrolux.

Electrolux has far-reaching ambitions to reduce its climate impact, ranging from a science-based target to reduce CO2 emissions from products with 25% by 2025, to becoming fully climate neutral throughout the value chain by 2050.

Widening the scope of its sustainability strategy, Electrolux in 2019 also launched the Better Living Program, an initiative to enable better and more sustainable living for consumers around the world through 2030. Today’s announcement will contribute to the program, not least the target to make homes healthier and more sustainable through smart solutions for air, water and floors. (The target has been redefined subsequent to the launch, read more here).

The GWP (Global Warming Potential) reduction plan that Electrolux has presented to the UN outlines the switch to lower global warming potential gases in all product lines. For more details of the plan, please see: https://www.electroluxgroup.com/en/electrolux-and-the-uns-cool-coalition-30536/

Electrolux joined the UN Cool Coalition in 2019. For more information about the UN Cool Coalition initiative: https://coolcoalition.org/

CONTACT:

For further information, please contact Electrolux Press Hotline, +46-8-657-65-07.

This information was brought to you by Cision http://news.cision.com

https://news.cision.com/electrolux/r/electrolux-takes-action-to-reduce-emissions-from-cooling-products,c3128155

The following files are available for download:

 

Continue Reading

General News

Queens ‘Wolverine’ man charged with attempted murder

Evan Lewis

Published

on

Queens 'Wolverine' man charged with attempted murder

The man caught on camera chasing down Black Lives Matter demonstrators with a Wolverine-type claw in Queens is now charged with attempted murder, authorities announced Thursday.

Frank Cavalluzzi, 54, was filmed chasing protesters in Whitestone on Tuesday while wearing a glove affixed with four long, serrated-edged blades — before getting into his SUV, driving onto the sidewalk and attempting to mow them down, prosecutors said.

“I will kill you,” he allegedly yelled at the protesters, according to prosecutors.

Cavalluzzi, whom police sources called a known troublemaker in the area, was arrested Thursday morning.

He was later arraigned on a laundry list of charges, including attempted murder in the second degree, attempted assault in the first and second degree, reckless endangerment in the first degree, menacing in the second degree, endangering the welfare of a child and criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.

“In a burst of anger and rage, this defendant allegedly sought to kill protesters who were peacefully assembled and exercising their right to free speech,” Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said in a statement.

“No one at any time should infringe upon another’s Constitutionally-protected freedoms and doing so with the intent to injure and maim is criminal.”

Katz said it was “amazing” that no one had been injured in the melee.

Queens Criminal Court Judge Mary Berjarano set Cavalluzzi’s bail at $100,000. His next court appearance is set for July 2.

If convicted, he faces up to 25 years in prison.

His attorney didn’t return a call from The Post on Thursday night.

Continue Reading

Trending