SEOUL, South Korea — Another American contractor working at Camp Humphreys tested positive for the coronavirus on Monday, the fifth confirmed case at the largest U.S. base in South Korea, officials said.
Camp Humphreys, the largest overseas Army garrison and home to the main military headquarters on the divided peninsula, has been partially locked down since Friday after three people who worked at Eighth Army headquarters tested positive last week.
The new infections raised to 13 the total number of cases affiliated with U.S. Forces Korea, including two soldiers. The increase came as South Korea has seen its overall pace of infections slow, with only 76 new cases reported Monday, down from a high of 909 on Feb. 29.
The contractor was tested on Sunday and the results came back early Monday. He is in isolation at his off-base residence as directed by the Korea Centers for Disease Control, according to a press release.
He last visited Camp Humphreys on Friday, it said, adding that U.S. military and KCDC officials are conducting contact tracing to determine if anybody else may have been exposed.