Scientists found a new treatment to beat one of the deadliest forms of breast cancer. Scientists have given an immunotherapy drug “Keytruda” to women with triple-negative breast cancer. According to research, this drug combined with Chemo “turbocharges” patients’ immune system. It is taken alongside chemo and shrinks tumors before surgery.
The treatment showed positive results in more than 700 women with triple-negative breast cancer. More than 60% of the patients were operated with this treatment and showed no sign of cancer after the operation. However, the disease return back to 37% of women who took Keytruda- added Researchers of the Queen Mary University of London.
This immunotherapy drug is made with scientists promise to cure more patients and save thousands of lives. According to scientists, they are desperately looking for better treatments to save lives from breast cancer. The early results of Keytruda (pembrolizumab) suggest the addition of immunotherapy to chemotherapy. It generally leads to a substantial reduction in the form of breast cancer by shrinking tumors before surgery.
According to lead author Professor Peter Schmid, this is still the preliminary result. However, these are very promising as it prevents cancer from coming back. So it will help to cure more patients but longer-term data is needed to confirm this treatment.
Keytruda (Pembrolizumab): Immunotherapy drug to fight Cancer
An immunotherapy drug Keytruda (Pembrolizumab) works with the immune system of cancer patients to fight triple-negative breast cancer. It blocks PD-L1 from the surface of cancer cells and prevents them to attack cancer cells.
Keytruda, an immunotherapy drug was developed by Merck. It was approved by the FDA to treat cancers following cancers:
- Advanced Melanoma: it is a type of skin cancer. When melanocyte cancer cells spread from one part of the body to another it is known as Advanced Melanoma. This is stage 4 Melanoma.
- Head and Neck Squamous cell: In this, cancer arises from particular cells called Squamous cells. It develops in the mucous membranes of the Mouth, Nose, and Throat.
- Advanced Non- Small Lung cancer: This type of lung cancer starts when cells of the lung become abnormal and become out of control.
- Classical Hodgkin Lymphoma: this contains a particular type of cell called the Reed-Sternberg cell. These are abnormal B-lymphocytes.
- Bladder and Urinary Tract Cancer: this cancer begins from the urothelial cells inside the bladder. It also occurs in other parts of the urinary tract drainage system.
- Advanced Stomach: This type of cancer begins with the stomach and spread at least one other part of the body. Till now this type of cancer is non-curable but controllable.
- Advanced Cervical: This type of cancer starts from the cervix and spread to the other parts of the body such as lungs.